Woodstock Road, Oxford: number changes at the older (south) end


Change in the street name and renumbering

Prior to c.1882 the south end of the Woodstock Road was called St Giles' Road West as far north as Leckford Road and Ss Philip & James Church on the right-hand side. Beyond that the houses were described as being on the Woodstock Road as were all the houses on the left-hand side. The renumbering in that year has remained until the present day.

(Prior to the 1870s there were far fewer houses and they were numbered slighly differently again.)

Part of the Banbury Road was nown as St Giles' Road East, but when the address is simply given as “St Giles' Road” it seems to mean the woodstock Road.

1876 Street Plan

The 1876 street plan of Oxford shows in detail all the houses built on the present St Giles' Road West/Woodstock Road by that date as far north as the city boundary at that time, which was just to the north of St Margaret's Road. The plan shows the outline of the houses and includes the names of terraces and large houses.
Make the following links Full screen and then zoom in:

  • St Giles' Road West (just a tiny scrap in top left-hand corner of the sheet): Little Clarendon Street and the first three houses on west side of the present Woodstock Road
  • St Giles' Road West: From north of St Giles' Church up to just south of the Radcliffe Infirmary
  • St Giles' Road West: From Radcliffe Infirmary and Radcliffe Observatory up to Observatory Street
  • St Giles' Road West/Woodstock Road: From north of Observatory Street to just beyond Leckford Road
  • Woodstock Road From the north of Leckford Road to just north of St Margaret's Road (then called Rackham's Lane)
    Here was the city boundary in 1876

See also the National Library of Scotland map of the Woodstock Road in c.1900

Parishes
  • St Giles' parish originally covered the whole of the Woodstock Road up as far as Summertown
  • Ss Philip & James Church was built in the Woodstock Road in 1862 and then covered the Woodstock Road houses situated to the north of St Bernard's Road on the west and Bevington Road on the east
  • St Margaret's Church in St Margaret Road's was built as a chapel of ease for Ss Philip & James Church in 1885 and had its own parish from 1896 and covered the houses north of Farndon Road on the west side and north of 78 Woodstock road on the east side.

The parish cemetery for this area is St Sepulchre's in Walton Street, and many of its residents were buried there from 1848..

WOODSTOCK Road WEST SIDE (odd numbers):
From Little Clarendon Street northwards to just past St Margaret's Road
1876 Plan

With date and name of
first leaseholder added
for St John's estate*

1881 census

(former numbering)
+ occupier

1891 census

(same numbering
as present)
+ occupier

2024

(with Listed Building reference where applicable)

Terrace of
nine
unnamed
houses/shops
is shown here

1 St Giles' Road West
Tom Skinner,
Draper manager

1 Woodstock Road
Tom Skinner,
Draper

1 Woodstock Road
Taylor's Deli

3 St Giles' Road West
Thomas Marsh,
Butcher

3 Woodstock Road
Frederick Alden,
Grocer

3 Woodstock Road
Bodyset

Woodbine Cottage,
5 St Giles' Road West
Edwin Brooks,
Woollen Draper

5 Woodstock Road
Unoccupied

5, 7, 9, & 11
Woodstock Road

Brown's Café

7 St Giles' Road West
West not listed

7 & 9
Woodstock Road

William Shelton,
House furnisher

9 St Giles' Road
West not listed

11 St Giles Road West
Mary Warland,
Grocer

11 & 13
Woodstock Road

Henry Taphouse,
Photographer

13 St Giles Road West
Rebecca Cook (lodger)

13 & 15
Woodstock Road

Oxford Orthodontics

15 St Giles' Road West
William Lambert

15 & 17
Woodstock Road

Agnes Lambert,
Boot seller

17 St Giles Road West
“Shop (no one sleeping here)”

17a
Robert Hill, Stationer

17 Woodstock Road

Post Office

Here is Radcliffe Row, formerly known as Cox's Row.
This used to run through to Walton Street, but is now a narrow locked entrance
into Somerville College between Nos. 17 & 19 Woodstock Road.
There were 28 cottages in Radcliffe Row in 1891.
Ten were left in 1899 and the rest were demolished in 1905

Kelly's Directory for 1914/15 lists Radcliffe House numbered 17A Woodstock Road immediately after Radcliffe Row.
This was then occupied by the Hon. Misses Bruce
(presumably Alice Moore Bruce, the Vice-Principal of Somerville and her sister),
This entry was followed by the first of two listings for Somerville College

Three attached buildings
19 St Giles' Road West
Anne Taylor

19 Woodstock Road
Thomas Verey,
Tailor

19 & 21
Woodstock Road

Glowbar

21 St Giles' Road West
No listing

21 & 23
Woodstock Road

Robert Hill,
Bookseller

23 St Giles' Road West
No listing

It seems likely that No. 23 was demolished so that St Aloysius' Church could have an entrance on the Woodstock Road

Presbytery
not built until 1878


R.C. Chapel
(Seats for 288)
[St Aloysius Church]
is shown behind

Unnumbered,
St Giles' Road West
Residence of Priest

RC Presbytery,
25 Woodstock Road

25 Woodstock Road

St Aloysius'
Presbytery

Listed: 1258024

St Aloysius Church behind:
Listed: 1369461

Waggon &
Horses Inn
25 St Giles' Road West
George Beauchamp,
publican

Waggon & Horses.
27 Woodstock Road

James Gibbs

27–41
Woodstock Road

including the Waggon & Horses pub

replaced by

Somerville
College

Initially the college only occupied the site of 35, 37, and 39
Woodstock Road

 

Nos. 27 (The Wagon & Horses pub), and
29, 31, 33, & 35
survived to at least 1915, and Miss Akers still had her baby linen warehouse at No. 33 in 1930

Unnamed 27 St Giles' Road West
Louise Knowles

29 Woodstock Road
E. E. Showell,
Watchmaker & Jeweller

Unnamed

29 St Giles' Road West
George Bates,
Watchmaker & Jeweller

31  Woodstock Road
Anthony Kirner
Not built 31 St Giles' Road West
Mary Akers

33 Woodstock Road
Mary Akers
Children's outfitter

Not built

33 St Giles' Road West
Somerville Hall

Somerville Hall,
35, 37, & 39 Woodstock Road

Servants only

Not built

35 St Giles' Road West
Sarah Smith,
housekeeper

Not built

St Giles' Road West
This may be the
Radcliffe Infirmary Lodge
George Higgins

“Gardener's Cottage”,
41 Woodstock Road

RADCLIFFE INFIRMARY

Many parts named on Plan, including Out Patients'
Waiting Hall
, Fountain, named wards, and St Luke's Chapel (see Plan)

Built in 1770

[Radcliffe Infirmary]

Surgeon: John Hine,
Matron: Mary Allison

All patients named

Radcliffe Infirmary
Frederick Robertson at Porter's Lodge

 

Woodstock Road

Radcliffe
Observatory Quarter

Many parts are
listed, including:
1047066
1063899
1047067

RADCLIFFE OBSERVATORY

Including Lodge, Stables, and Observer's house
(see Plan)

Built in 1773

Observatory Lodge
St Giles' Road West
Thomas Jacob,
Gardener

The Observatory
Edward Stone

Thomas Jacob at
Porter's Lodge

Radcliffe
Observatory

Edward Stone, Radcliffe Observer

43 Woodstock Road
Green Templeton
College

Listed:
Observatory 1047070
Former Observer's house: 1369464

St John's Terrace

(six adjoining
houses)

 

Built in early
19th  century

 

 

(Not to be confused with St John's Terrace
in Adelaide Street, Jericho)

37 St Giles' Road West
George Wylde

45 Woodstock Road
George Wylde

45 Woodstock Road

Nos 45 to 55
are all listed jointly:
1047071

39 St Giles' Road West
George Watkins

47 Woodstock Road
Eleanor Watkins

47 Woodstock Road

41 St Giles' Road West
Mary Bridgwater

49 Woodstock Road
Mary Bridgwater

49 Woodstock Road

43 St Giles' Road West
Arthur Shepherd

51 Woodstock Road
Sophia Korp

51 Woodstock Road

45 St Giles' Road West
Harold Shrimpton

53 Woodstock Road
William Parker

53 Woodstock Road

47 St Giles' Road West
Henry Radbone

55 Woodstock Road
Henry Radbone

55 Woodstock Road
Here is Observatory Street

 

South
Parade

Six terraced houses/shops
including No. 57, although today the latter has no Woodstock Road frontage

 

(Not to be confused
with South Parade
in Summertown)

49 St Giles' Road West
Elizabeth Dawes

57 Woodstock Road
Ernest Higgins
Butcher

59 Woodstock Road
Benjamin Higgins
Butcher

Knocked into
one in 1886

57 Woodstock Road
is now the number allocated to the entrance to
Belsyre Court
in Observatory
Street

This 1936 building
is listed: 1392939

51 St Giles' Road West
Anna Richings

 

59 Woodstock Road

Woodstock Road Chemist

53 St Giles' Road West
Amelia Jones

61 & 63
Woodstock Road

Charles Andrews,
Draper

61 Woodstock Road

Johnson's Cleaners

55 St Giles' Road West
Mary Clarke

63 Woodstock Road

Quirky Barbers

57 St Giles' Road West
Harriet Morton

65 Woodstock Road
Philip Nix,
Watch repairer

65 Woodstock Road

Court Candy

59 St Giles' Road West
Frederick Alden,
Grocer

67 Woodstock Road
Richard Small,
Grocer's Manager

67 Woodstock Road

Medivet

Here is St Bernard's Road (formerly St John's Road)
Start of Parish of Ss Philip & James
In 1881 this marks the start of the Woodstock Road numbering on the west side
Horse & Jockey
(P.H.)

Horse & Jockey Inn”,
Woodstock Road
(no one listed)

Horse & Jockey
69 Woodstock Road
Elizabeth West

69 Woodstock Road
(Old Horse & Jockey)

Blenheim
Place

Four terraced
houses

 

Built in early
19th century

 

No. 1 seems to have been added to the terrace later, with the result that Henry Crapper's address at 3 Blenheim Place in the 1870s was 5 Blenheim Place by 1880

1 Blenheim Place,
Woodstock Road
David Hammond

71 Woodstock Road
Henry Crapper

71 & 73
Woodstock Road

Pair of
attached houses

Nos. 71 to 79
are all listed jointly:
1372273

3 Blenheim Place,
Woodstock Road
James Buckingham

73 Woodstock Road
William Beesley

5 Blenheim Place,
Woodstock Road
Henry Crapper
75 Woodstock Road
William Beesley

75 Woodstock Road
Former Belsyre
Garage (now a
house) linking last
house with next pair

7 Blenheim Place,
Woodstock Road
James Wicks

Crescent Lodge,
77 Woodstock Road

Sarah Glanville

77 Woodstock Road

9 Blenheim Place,
Woodstock Road
George Norton

79 Woodstock Road
Beresford Kidd

79 Woodstock Road

Gap with
glasshouses
(Nursery)

11 Blenheim Place
Joseph Bates
Nurseryman

81 Woodstock Road
Joseph Bates

Gap, with
gateway of
No. 79 above

Blenheim
Terrace

Four terraced houses

13 Woodstock Road
Frances Walford

83 Woodstock Road
No listing

83 & 85
Woodstock Road

(pair of attached houses, now a St Antony's
College Hostel)

15 Woodstock Road
Caroline Best

85 Woodstock Road
No listing
17 Woodstock Road
Janet Turner

87 Woodstock Road
No listing

87 & 89
Woodstock Road

Pair of attached houses

19 Woodstock Road
Emma Carter

89 Woodstock Road
No listing

Here is Plantation Road

Four terraced houses

Built in early
19th century

21 Woodstock Road
Elizabeth Turner

91 Woodstock Road
Elizabeth Turner

91 Woodstock Road

Listed: 1369465

23 Woodstock Road
Uninhabited

93 Woodstock Road
Julia Pollert

93, 95, & 97
Woodstock Road
Listed: 1047072

25 Woodstock Road
Henry Barford

95 Woodstock Road
Uninhabited

27 Woodstock Road
Margaret Gibbons

97 Woodstock Road
Amelia Edger

Pair of unnamed
attached houses

Lease 1865:
Both Josiah Watson

29 Woodstock Road
Uninhabited

99 Woodstock Road
William Scott

99 & 101
Woodstock Road

Pair of attached
brick houses

?Worton Villa
31 Woodstock Road
Uninhabited

101 Woodstock Road
Francis de Paravicini

Pair of unnamed
attached houses

Lease 1865:
Both John Lovis

33 Woodstock Road
Uninhabited

[Conyingham Villa]
103 Woodstock Road
John Badcock

103 & 105
Woodstock Road

Pair of attached
large brick houses

“Rosebank”,
35 Woodstock Road
Charles Robertson

“Rosebank”,
105 Woodstock Road

Charles Robertson

Pair of unnamed
attached houses

Lease 1866:
No. 107 William Lucy
  No. 109 Catherine Lucy

“Thornleigh”,
Woodstock Road
Mary Roberts, wife

“Thornleigh”,
107 Woodstock Road
Alice Lucy

107 & 109
Woodstock Road

Pair of large
attached houses

“Langholme”,
Banbury Road
Henry Boswell

“Langholme”,
109 Woodstock Road
Henry Boswell

Earls Croome
Large detached house
with glasshouse to south

Lease 1866:
Robert Hills

“Earls Croome”,
63 Woodstock Road
Carteret Fletcher
“Earls Croome”,
111  Woodstock Road
Carteret Fletcher

111 Woodstock Road

Large detached
house with entrance
in Leckford Road

Here is Leckford Road

Newton Lodge
Large detached house

Lease 1863:
Edwin Butler

43 Woodstock Road
Arthur Watson

[Newton Lodge]
113 Woodstock Road

Arthur Watson

113, 115, 117, & 119 Woodstock Road
now
Butler Close

Planning application:
68/20032/A_H

Burnham Lodge
Large detached house

Lease 1869:
Titus Wray

45 Woodstock Road
Furnished but unoccupied

115 Woodstock Road
Frances Bull

Albert Villa
Large detached house

Lease 1865:
Henry Yule

47 Woodstock Road
Richard Rowell
117 Woodstock Road
Unoccupied

Walton Lodge
Large detached house

Lease 1863:
Robert Hawkins

Walton Lodge,
49 Woodstock Road
Rebecca Barnett
119 Woodstock Road
Rebecca Barnett

Southbourne
&
Northbourne

Two large attached houses

Lease 1856
Both John Dyne, builder

Southbourne,
51 Woodstock Road
Louisa Fryer

121 Woodstock Road
Herbert Fust

121 & 123
Woodstock Road

Two large
attached houses

Northbourne,
53 Woodstock Road
Nina Cooke
123 Woodstock Road
Charles Garratt

Wychbourne
&
Bardwell Villa

Two large
attached houses

Lease 1868
No. 125: Edward Bruton  
No. 127: Alexander Hurford

Wychbourne,
55 Woodstock Road
Samuel Spicer

125 Woodstock Road
John Trevelyan

 

Replaced by
Stevens Close

Planning application:
72/25414/A_H

57  Woodstock Road
Alfred Rose
127 Woodstock Road
Alden Sampton

Pair of large attached houses with 131 on the
corner to the north named
Scotter

Leases 1876:
No. 129: John Dover, builder  
No. 131: Philip Tyrwhitt

Gainsborough,
59 Woodstock Road
James Wicks

129 Woodstock Road
James Wicks

61 Woodstock Road
Philip Tyrwhitt

131 Woodstock Road
Philip Tyrwhitt
Here is Farndon Road (formerly Farndon Place)

Surreycote
Detached house

Lease 1868:
Edward Bruton

63 Woodstock Road
Owen Grimbly

133 Woodstock Road
Emily Bletchley

133 & 135
Woodstock Road

Replaced by
Farndon Court
(originally a residential hostel for the YMCA)

Planning application:
66/17705/A_H

The block to the south, numbered 133 Woodstock Road
with its entrance in
Farndon Road, is now accommodation for Reuben College

Riversdale

Lease 1871:
Thomas Hyde

Riversdale,
65 Woodstock Road
Mary Mocatta
135 Woodstock Road
John Turner

Allandale Villas
(two attached houses)

Lease 1884:
No. 137 Edmund Bevers
No. 139: William Leary

Allandale,
67 Woodstock Road
Edmund Bevers

137 Woodstock Road
Maria Green

137–141
Woodstock Road

Three houses
replaced by

Russell Court

Planning application
69/21736/A_H

Allandale,
69 Woodstock Road
Richard Rowell

139 Woodstock Road
Mary Morison

Big unnamed villa
with large  gardens

Lease 1865:
John O. Westwood

Walton Manor,
71 Woodstock Road
J. O. Westwood
141 Woodstock Road
J. O. Westwood
Here is St Margaret's Road (formerly Rackham's Lane)

Laburnum Cottage

Replaced

Lease 1887:
Montague Wootten

Laburnum Cottage,
Woodstock Road
Edward Thorne

“Cross Ways”,
143 Woodstock Road

Montague Wootten

143 Woodstock Road
replaced by
St Aloysius
Catholic Primary School

Planning application:
71/25128/A_H

Building plots laid out:

Lease 1888:
Robert Hartley

Not built‡

145 Woodstock Road
Servants only

145 & 147
Woodstock Road

The Nunnery,
Trinity College

Lease 1889:
Thomas Withington
Not built‡

147 Woodstock Road
Thomas Withington

Here is Polstead Road (formerly Hutt Road)
 
 
 
WOODSTOCK Road EAST SIDE (even numbers):
From St Giles' Church northwards to just beyond St Margaret's Road
1876 Plan

With date and name of
first leaseholder added
for St John's estate*

1881 census

(former numbering)
+ occupier

1891 census

(same numbering
as present)
+ occupier

2024

(with Listed Building reference where applicable)

  2 & 4
St Giles' Road West
Thomas Howson,
Assistant Chemist
2 Woodstock Road
Uninhabited

2 Woodstock Road
(Le Fam Nails Lounge)

 

4 Woodstock Road
Henry Thurland,
Chemist

4 & 6
Woodstock Road

(Fusion House
Chinese restaurant)
  6 St Giles' Road West
Eleanor Bowerman,
Cigar shop

6
Woodstock Road

Frederick Bridgwater,
Tobacconist

 

8 St Giles' Road West
May Nunney

8 Woodstock Road
John Walklett
8 Woodstock Road
(closed, latterly
Blythe Fine Art )
 

10 St Giles' Road West
Emily Treherne

10 Woodstock Road
Uninhabited:

St Giles' parish buildings, completed in 1891

12, 14, & 16 St Giles' Road are also missing from the 1891 census, so it is assumed that the parish buildings stretch over the site of four former shops

10 Woodstock Road
(St Giles' Parish Room)

 

12 St Giles' Road West
John Walklett

 

Coach & Horses
[14] St Giles' Road West
Joseph Miles

  16 St Giles' Road West
Eliza Allison
 

Sizewell,
18 St Giles' Road West
Sarah Mallam

12 Woodstock Road
Sarah Mallam

(the tall house visible on this postcard)

12 Woodstock Road
(Language Centre)

(The Red Barn (Big Game Museum, later the original Oxford Playhouse) erected in 1906)

St Giles's Terrace

14 terraced houses on the Plan, with an extra building
on the south end

 

Late 18th century

 

Originally numbered
1–14 St Giles's Terrace
(but inexplicably comprising 32 houses in the 1851 census)

 

 

This appears to be the earlier Pears's Row
described in 1817 as adjoining the Revd Hay's house which was opposite the Radcliffe Infirmary.

In early censuses and in Jackson's Oxford Journal between the dates of 1823 and 1864 it is also spelt
Peer's Row

(Is the Pears whose name it bore the architect James Pears, who lived in St Giles' Street?

20 St Giles' Road West
Frederick Hosier

14 Woodstock Road
Sarah Gane

14–36
Woodstock Road

(St Giles's Terrace)

 

The whole terrace of 14 houses is listed:
1369466

 

The terrace's
street sign

survived
until c.2011

22 St Giles' Road West
Jane Whitlock

16 Woodstock Road
Lily Tapley

24 St Giles' Road West
John Preston

18 Woodstock Road
George Stroud

26 St Giles' Road West
Francis Walklett

20 Woodstock Road
Thomas Walklett

28 St Giles' Road West
Mary Fathers

22 Woodstock Road
Mary Fathers

30 St Giles' Road West
Martha Walter

24 Woodstock Road
Elizabeth Hobbs

32 St Giles' Road West
Charles Maxey

26 Woodstock Road
Emily Singer

34 St Giles' Road West
Ann Carter

28 Woodstock Road
Albert Chapman

36 St Giles' Road West
William Hosier

30 Woodstock Road
Ruth Frohock

38 St Giles' Road West
Alfred Rogers

32 Woodstock Road
Alfred Rogers

40 St Giles' Road West
Alexander Howell

34 Woodstock Road
William Pledge

42 St Giles' Road West
Sarah Bridgwater
& Mary Toogood

36 Woodstock Road
Mary Toogood

Two small attached buildings
set back from the road

Replaced later by present houses dated 1884 in the middle of the shared dormer

Lease 1884:
Both Moses Allnutt

Not yet built

38 Woodstock Road
William Allnutt

38 & 40
Woodstock Road

Two attached
brick houses

Graduate
accommodation

40 Woodstock Road
Ellen Jenner

Royal Oak (P.H.)

17th century,
altered in 18th century

Royal Oak,
St Giles' Road West
Philip Ryman,
Publican

42
Woodstock Road
Royal Oak pub

Sarah Ryman

44 Woodstock Road
Ernest Robinson

42 & 44
Woodstock Road

Royal Oak pub

Listed: 1372274

Unnamed building

Beech Cottage,
Woodstock Road
Jesse Ward

Northgate House,
46 Woodstock Road
Charles Dart

Replaced in 1904 by lodge for former Sarah Acland nurses' home (SA 1904 was in gable) and now replaced again by Keble College

46 Woodstock Road

New building on the Keble site for
Grass Roots Oxford Science Enterprises

(13/01657/CAC)

Older building shown on Plan

Lease 1882:
Frederick Smith

St Giles' Road West:
Two in process
of being built
48 Woodstock Road
Frederick Smith
48 Woodstock Road
(large brick house,
part of St Anne's)

Older building shown on Plan

Lease 1882:
Alexander Macdonald

50 Woodstock Road
Mary Macdonald
50 Woodstock Road
(large brick house,
part of St Anne's)
Plots marked on plan

?Springfield Cottage,
St Giles' Road West
Julia Denford

52 Woodstock Road
Percival Webb

52, 54 & 56 Woodstock Road
replaced by
St Anne's College

?

54 Woodstock Road
Joseph Bartlett

St John's Lodge

Lease 1868:
Robert Charlsley

St John's Lodge,
St Giles' Road West
Robert Charlsley
56 Woodstock Road
R. H. Charlsley

Two large unnamed
attached villas

Leases 1872:
No. 58: Charles Hoole
  No. 60: Daniel Parsons

Ivy Lawn,
St Giles' Road West
Edmund Hitchcock

58 Woodstock Road
Edmund Hitchcock

58 & 60
Woodstock Road

(two large attached houses, now part of St Anne's)

? 60 Woodstock Road
Ellen Kemmis
Here is Bevington Road
Start of Ss Philip & James' parish
In 1881 this marks the start of the Woodstock Road numbering on the east side

St Mary's Home

With large area to the north
with Play Ground
marked behind

Lease 1868:
Marian Hughes

Convent of
Holy Trinity

Marian Hughes
+ residents

62 Woodstock Road

Convent
Marian Hughes
+ twelve Sisters of Mercy & orphanage pupils

62 Woodstock Road

St Antony's College

Listed:1046641

Two large
semi-detached houses

Leases 1875:
No. 64: John Nutt       
No. 66: John Hanbury

2 Woodstock Road
Arthur Sidgwick

64 Woodstock Road
Rose Sidgwick (daughter)

64–66
Woodstock Road
(Pair of attached houses, part of
St Antony's College)
4 Woodstock Road
James Ramsden

66 Woodstock Road
Henry Nicholls

Large empty area

 

Vicarage built here
in 1887

Not yet built 68 Woodstock Road
(vicarage)
Revd Edward Dermer

68 Woodstock Road
(Large detached house, now part of St Antony's College)

Listed: 1392940

Here is Church Walk

St Philip &
St James' Church

1862

[Ss Philip &
James Church
]
Ss Philip &
James' Church

Oxford Centre for
Mission Studies

In former church

Listed:1047073

Elizabeth House

Lease 1872:
Samuel Merriman

?Kircrone
Woodstock Road
Jane Fitzgerald
70 Woodstock Road
Robert Doyne

70 Woodstock Road
(Large detached house, now the European Studies Centre, St Antony's College)

Here is Canterbury Road

The Shrubbery
(aka Quidville)
set back from the road
with massive gardens
to both south and north

Built before 1841 for
Thomas Mallam

The Shrubbery,
Woodstock Road

Thomas Mallam
[The Shrubbery]
72 Woodstock Road

Thomas Mallam

72 Woodstock Road
(Large detached house with vast grounds on the corner, now the Principal's Lodgings,
St Hugh's College)

Listed:1047074

Building plot marked out

Lease 1882:
Thomas Holland

Not yet built 74 Woodstock Road
Thomas Hollands

74 Woodstock Road
(Large detached house, now part of St Hugh's)

Building plot marked out

Lease 1887:
Both houses:
Thomas Gorman

Not yet built 76 Woodstock Road
Mary Hunt

76 Woodstock Road
(Large detached house, now part of St Hugh's)

Not yet built

78 Woodstock Road
Percival Walsh

78–82
Woodstock Road

Three detached houses,
now part of
St Hugh's
College

Building plot marked out

Lease 1887:
Richard Rowell

Not yet built 80 Woodstock Road
Richard Rowell

Building plot marked out

Lease 1887:
Thomas Gorman

Not yet built 82 Woodstock Road
Annie Getty
Here is St Margaret's Road (formerly Rackham's Lane)

Building plot marked

Lease 1886:
Frances Bull
Not yet built 84 Woodstock Road
Uninhabited

84 Woodstock Road
replaced by
Hartley Court

Planning application
71/24118/AA_H

Building plot marked

Lease 1889:
Sarah Crow

Not yet built 86 Woodstock Road
Sarah Crow

86 & 88
Woodstock Road

Two large
detached houses

Building plot marked

Lease 1892:
David Margoliouth

Not yet built

[88]
Woodstock Road
In process of building

 


* The date and name of the first leaseholder for the houses northwards from No. 39 on the east side and No. 38 on the west side are taken from Tanis Hinchcliffe, North Oxford (Yale University Press: New Haven & London, 1992), pp. 241–245. Sometimes the house is occupied by the time of the 1881 census but the date given for the first leaseholder is after that year.

† On the 1891 census sheet the even numbers run normally up to 44/46, but after that the enumerator darts from side to side as follows: 45, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 Woodstock Road, followed by 61, 63, and 67 before Observatory Street.

‡ In 1881 the following are listed between Laburnum Cottage up to Polstead Road: Local Board Hospital (Daniel Lanchbury, Keeper of hospital), and North Cottage (Job Trinder, gardener),

© Stephanie Jenkins